Herald Women’s Premier League Round 21 Review

August 6th, 2018




Match of the Round

South Wallsend 3 (Gema Simon, Alesha Clifford, Beth Kermode) drew Wallsend 3 (Libby Copus-Brown 2, Jess Evans) at Walker Fields on Sunday. Half-time: South Wallsend led 2-1.

There was no sign of a dead rubber at Walker Fields, with Wallsend hoping to finish their season on a high and South Wallsend wanting a clinical performance before finals.

Both teams battled but couldn’t be separated, forcing them to share the points in a six-goal thriller.

The game had barely started when a neatly placed cross into the box found Gema Simon who tapped it into the bottom right corner for an early lead.

The Wolves doubled their lead shortly after, with a scramble in the box finding Alesha Clifford just off the back post who booted it into the top left corner.

Wallsend came back within a goal when Georgia Little played a nice through ball to Libby Copus-Brown who had a solo effort and brought the keeper off her line before slotting it in behind her.

The goals continued to come in the second half and the Devil’s found an equaliser when Laura Hall was felled in the box and Copus-Brown was successful with a penalty from the spot.

The hosts stole the lead for the second time when Beth Kermode’s shot from the top of the 18-yard box sailed past the keeper and into the top right corner.

But yet again, Wallsend levelled when Jess Evans scored from a header to ensure her side got a share of the points.

Wallsend coach Marc Hingston said it was a great feeling to walk away with a share of the points.

“The ground was like concrete so for us to play a good brand of football, I was really proud of the girls and that’s a credit to them,” Hingston said.

“We knew we were still in the game at half-time and we came out strong in the second half which was great to see.

“As a team, we set ourselves a goal to not get beaten by them all year because they have been a side we know we can compete against and to be honest, we probably did enough to win the game.

“It’s only six months until the season starts again so it gives the girls some confidence. The goal for next season will be to have more luck with a consistent starting side and adding in a few extra key players will make a big difference for us.”


New Lambton 6 (Tara Andrews 4, Georgia Amess, Hannah Batten) defeated Adamstown 3 (Lauren Allan 2, Jorjia Hogg) at Alder Park on Sunday. Half-time: 1-1.

New Lambton produced a confidence-boosting performance in their final hit-out before semi-finals with a strong 6-3 victory over a brave Adamstown side.

It was back and forth in the opening half until Georgia Amess found the back of the net for an early lead. The celebrations didn’t last long, with speedy striker Lauren Allan equalising to deadlock the score heading into the break.

In the second half, Allan completed her match brace and Jorjia Hogg scored her first goal of the season with both players performing well.

Tara Andrews went on a scoring rampage with a four-goal haul and Hannah Batten also added her name to the scoresheet.

New Lambton coach Keelan Hamilton said it was a mixed performance and poor defensive decisions meant they were on the back foot early.

“Our first 15 minutes were really strong and we were causing them all sorts of problems,” Hamilton said.

“We did some great build-up work when we were in possession and looked really dangerous throughout the majority of the game but then we lost our way a little bit about midway through the first half.

“We were a little bit disjointed defensively and we were making poor decisions which allowed them to get back in the game.

“It’s obviously better to win than lose but we still have some areas we need to improve in.”

Adamstown coach Paul Devitis described it as “a pretty crazy game that the scoreline didn’t reflect.”

“We were up 3-2 in the second half and playing really well,” Devitis said.

“Then Tayla got a red card for a handball in the box and that changed the game for us.

“We had three players under 18 who made their first-grade debut and they did an awesome job for us.

“I am so proud of the girls because they battled right until the end which is impressive because we had five of our starting players out.

“We matched nearly every team this season and gave a lot of opportunities to younger players which is great for the future. I’m sure when the girls look back, they will be very proud of how close they came.”


U20’s, 17’s, 14’s Results:

20s: Wallsend 3 beat South Wallsend 2, Adamstown 6 beat New Lambton 2, Warners Bay 1 beat Mid North Coast 0, Merewether 1 drew Thornton 1.

17s: Wallsend 11 beat South Wallsend 0, Adamstown 2 drew New Lambton 2, Mid North Coast 5 beat Warners bay 1, Thornton 3 beat Merewether 0.

14s: Wallsend 4 beat South Wallsend 0, Adamstown 6 beat New Lambton 0, Mid North Coast 1 beat Warners Bay 0, Merewether 5 beat Thornton 0.

Related Topics:
Premier Competitions WPL

NewsMore >

  More News  

NNSWF relaunch Youth Referee Academy
Northern NSW Football is delighted to announce the relaunch of its Youth… [more]
Magic, Olympic ready for FFA Cup round of 32 challenge
After an almost five-month wait, Broadmeadow Magic and Newcastle Olympic are… [more]
Brockie awarded Jennings Medal as National Premier Leagues Northern NSW Player of the Year for 2021
Edgeworth FC striker Jeremy Brockie has been named the recipient of the Graham… [more]

  Around the Clubs  

A guide to holding your club’s AGM during the pandemic
With many clubs preparing to bring their 2021 season to a close with their… [more]
2021 Champion of Champions tournament cancelled
Northern NSW Football is disappointed to announce that the 2021 Champion of… [more]
Kootingal & District FC named Club of the Month as part of July Newcastle Permanent Community Recognition Awards
Northern NSW Football is pleased to announce Kootingal & District FC from… [more]


Community Football

Newcastle Permanent Community Shield