Herald Women’s Premier League Round 10 Review

May 15th, 2017

Renee Valentine

Match of the Round

Adamstown 3 (Elodie Dagg 2 (1 pen), Emily Frost) defeated South Wallsend 2 (Georgia Amess, Stacey Day) at Adamstown Oval. Half-time: 1-1.

Adamstown coach Lou D’Amico said it was good to “see the girls smiling again” after Rosebud put a horror period behind them by seizing third place on the competition ladder with a last-gasp 3-2 win over South Wallsend on Sunday.

The hosts endured a tough two-and-a-half week period, in which they played five games, sustained some heavy losses to league pace-setters Merewether and Warners Bay and had former coach Ben Herron hand in his resignation.

But they could not hide their emotion as midfielder Elodie Dagg scored from the penalty spot around the 85th-minute mark to secure the crucial win over the Wolves.

“I’m very happy for the girls, it has been a tough couple of weeks,” D’Amico said.

“They showed so much character to come back twice and win.

“I thought we dominated possession and deserved to win.”

The game was just two minutes old when Georgia Amess gave the visitors a 1-0 lead but Emily Frost put the hosts back on level terms midway through the first half.

Former Westfield W-League player Stacey Day put the Wolves back in front in the 55th minute when she scored into the bottom right corner from around the penalty spot.

The Wolves seemed to have the ascendancy across the park until Elodie Dagg was given a chance and took it, scoring with a screamer from outside the 18-yard box in the 70th minute.

Dagg again proved the heroine when she calmly slotted from the penalty spot with five minutes remaining after Isobel Cootes was felled on the edge of the box.

South Wallsend coach Gary Wilson felt the Wolves were hard-done-by with the penalty, saying he thought it was a fair challenge on Cootes.

“We were flat in the first half but started well in the second,” Wilson said.

“We fell to sleep and they scored a good goal, then they got the penalty … we definitely deserved something out of the game.”

The Wolves back up against Wallsend on Wednesday night.


Merewether 1 (Ellie Withers) defeated Wallsend 0 at Myamblah Oval. Half-time: 0-0.

Merewether continued their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Wallsend in an at times fiery encounter on Sunday.

The game remained scoreless at the break after an even first half.

United broke the deadlock early in the second period when Leticia Quinlan put a through ball beyond the Wallsend back line and Ellie Withers charged onto it before chipping the Red Devils goalkeeper from 30 metres out.

The visitors scored with around 10 minutes remaining in the match but it was ruled offside and disallowed.

Merewether senior player Jane McDonald felt they had a lucky escape but was glad to gather another three competition points and remain undefeated at the top of the table.

“We probably had the better of the first half and Wallsend did in the second,” McDonald said after the game.

“It was a really physical game and they didn’t allow us anytime on the ball. They’re a good team and they didn’t have [W-League Jets player] Libby [Copus-Brown] today.”

Merewether also took the field without a number of core players, including captain Lori Depczynski, through unavailability.

Wallsend assistant coach Strat Kapalos said, “it was a good performance” and was disappointed not to leave Myamblah with at least a point.

“I thought a draw would’ve been a fair result,” he said.

“It was a hard-fought battle and I think we deserved something from it.”

Wallsend will back up on Wednesday night to host South Wallsend at The Gardens in a rescheduled washed-out match.


Warners Bay 7 (Jenna Kingsley 2, Sass Seaborn 2, Cassidy Davis, Nadja Squires, Sophie Stapleford) defeated Thornton 0 at Thornton Park. Half-time: Warners Bay led 2-0.

Defending champions Warners Bay again showed their class in a comprehensive 7-0 win over Thornton.

The visitors did not score until midway through the first half when player-coach Cassidy Davis chipped Thornton’s goalkeeper from just outside the 18-yard box.

Jenna Kingsley made it 2-0 going into the break when she found the back of the net from a closer range.

The other goals were spread through the second half.

Captain Nadja Squires scored with a long-range bomb, Sass Seaborn scored twice, Kingsley found another and Sophie Stapleford also got on the scoresheet.

“It took us a while to score but then the goals came steadily,” Davis said.

“I was pretty happy, we created a lot of chances and our backs defended well.

“There’s still a lot to work on but we had some really good play today.”


Mid North Coast – bye.


Points table: Merewether 27, Warners Bay 24, Adamstown 11, Mid North Coast 10,  South Wallsend 7, Wallsend 5, Thornton 0.

Related Topics:
Premier Competitions WPL

NewsMore >

  More News  

Michael Gaertner awarded NNSWF life membership
For all of Michael Gaertner’s achievements, memories and stories from a… [more]
NNSWF welcomes commitments following 2022 Federal election
Northern NSW Football has welcomed eight commitments made to its clubs across… [more]
Northern NSW Football conduct Australia Cup sixth and seventh preliminary round draws
Northern NSW Football conducted its Australia Cup sixth and seventh preliminary… [more]

  Around the Clubs  

Newcastle Olympic awarded potential $625,000 grant for Darling Street upgrades
Sharon Claydon MP has committed $625,000 for a new grandstand and facility… [more]
Shoosh for Kids returns for 2022
Shoosh for Kids is back in 2022 and the message is clear – if you… [more]
Inaugural NNSWF Community State Youth Championships launched
It will be Member Zone v Member Zone when the best community footballers take… [more]


Community Football

Newcastle Permanent Community Shield