Last Saturday, Northern NSW Football (NNSWF) hosted its 2020 Senior and Youth Referee Seminars for their match officials.
The events saw a combined total of around 200 match officials and referee coaches in attendance, including visitors from member Zones and the members of the NNSWF Youth Referee Academy and the NNSWF Referee State Talent Pool.
The seminars educated the match officials on the many and complex changes to the Laws of the Game for the upcoming season and updated them on the NNSWF Strategic Plan for 2020-2023, and developments within the FFA and NNSWF Referee Departments.
The seminar included a diverse range of match officials from new Level 4 referees through to Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League match officials.
Opened by NNSWF CEO, David Eland, the seminars had a variety of guest speakers, including:
- FFA Referees Manager, Mathew Cheeseman,
- Operations Manager, Liam Bentley,
- NNSWF Referee Head Coach, Rodney Allen,
- NNSWF Referee Assistant Coach, Jordan Langholz,
- Senior Officer Match Official Administration and Development, Brad Carlin,
- Match Official Education Officer, Jake Southward,
- Match Official Administration Officer, Riley Kirkaldy, and
- NNSWF Female Referee Coach, Alison Macready.
Key topics that were covered included:
- FFA update and development pathways – how the FFA Referee Department now operates, and how talented match officials can progress to the top;
- Laws of the Game changes – information on the many changes to the LOTG for this season, some of which are quite complex;
- Temporary dismissals – information on this regulation which applies to FNSW competitions in which the Newcastle Jets teams will play this year;
- Dealing with dissent and abuse – advice on how to withstand and deal with match official abuse from team officials and spectators;
- Changes to competition playing regulations – for NNSWF premier competitions; and
- 2020 administration update – how the NNSWF Referees Department works.
The seminars were enjoyable and informative and prepared the match officials well for the upcoming season. The day ended with NNSWF Youth Referee Academy match officials attending the Newcastle Jets A-League fixture against Western United FC, and afterwards meeting the A-League referees who officiated on the match.
For match officials who missed out on attending the seminars, NNSWF is holding a substitute seminar on Monday 17 February 2020 at Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility, Speers Point, from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
To register for the event, please click here.