NPL Men’s NNSW Round Nine Review: Late penalty miss leaves desperate Adamstown bottom

May 9th, 2022

James Paras

 JAE Media

Match of the Round
Adamstown Rosebud 1-2 Lake Macquarie City

Adamstown Rosebud remain rooted to the foot of the table after suffering a 2-1 defeat to Lake Macquarie City on Saturday.

Adamstown welcomed Lakes to Adamstown Oval in hopes of finding their first win of the season in the round nine Match of the Round.

Lakes came into the match searching for consistency, with Keelan Hamilton’s side ninth on the table after mixed results to start the season.

It would be Rosebud who were handed the early advantage as Lake Macquarie goalkeeper Blaire Ryan misjudged a back pass to him and, in trying to clear the ball, missed it completely with the ball rolling into the goals, in just the second minute.

Adamstown were full of running after gaining the advantage but the visitors were warming into the match and beginning to make inroads through the Rosebud defence.

Lakes had back-to-back chances just before the 20-minute mark, with Tapuwanashe Goora breaking through the Adamstown defence for a one-on-one with goalkeeper Tom Jenkin but the chance went begging as his shot went over the crossbar.

Alarm bells were ringing for Adamstown and just minutes later Dylan Burston found himself in a great position to grab the equaliser after fantastic lead-up play but he too would spray his shot wide of the post.

Lakes finally made the hosts pay in the 30th minute with Daniel Minors producing a fantastic shot from outside the penalty area that beat Jenkin at his far post to bring Lakes level.

Both sides had chances to grab the ascendancy but the match remained 1-1 heading into the half-time.

Despite Adamstown’s poor run of form to start the season Rosebud have been competitive in most of their matches especially recently and they were making Lake Macquarie work for the result.

Lakes found their breakthrough almost 10 minutes into the second half, with the fresh legs of substitute John Majurovski finding the back of the net to make the score 2-1.

Lakes seemed to be firmly in control of the match and threatened to extend their advantage with Majurovski providing a creative outlet.

Rosebud were given a golden opportunity to level the score 10 minutes from full-time when they were awarded a penalty for a foul in the penalty area.

Rosebud’s Kyle Munns was given the chance to equalise from the spot but it would be one that went begging as his shot sprayed wide of the post.

Rosebud pushed hard to find an equaliser but again Dave Rosewarne’s men came up short, leaving Adamstown winless and anchored to the bottom of the table.

Hamilton praised his side for being able to overcome a horror start and come home with the victory, highlighting Majurovski’s performance.

“I am really pleased with the way we performed overall, despite a horror start,” Hamilton said.

“We almost had a horror finish as well [with the Adamstown penalty] but between those two periods I think the performance was really good. I think with more clinical finishing and a better final pass, we could have been much more comfortable in the game.

“Majurovski has been a valuable contributor at all the clubs he has been at and he is no different for us. He helps guide some of the young players around the park at times and it was really pleasing for him to come on and get his goal because he has been working hard for us in the other fixtures”.

Cooks Hill United 0-1 Lambton Jaffas

Cooks Hill United showed plenty of grit but were unable to overcome the reigning premiers Lambton as they suffered their fourth straight defeat on Saturday.

The match was hotly contested at Fearnley Dawes Athletic Centre, with the hosts aiming to put in a big performance to mark their return to their spiritual home ground after over one year.

Lambton’s Mitch Rooke asked the first real question as he fired a wicked shot from the outside of the penalty area in the 21st minute but Cooks Hill keeper Ryan Furness was equal to the challenge, parrying it away to safety.

Cooks Hill came into the match still looking for their first win of the season, with their opening round draw against Maitland now a distant memory after three consecutive losses.

Lambton found the breakthrough just before the half-hour mark with Rooke providing a tidy finish after the ball fell at his feet in the penalty area, courtesy of a Luke Virgili cross.

The Jaffas carried the one-goal advantage into half-time, with Shane Pryce’s men eager to get the win to keep up with fast-starters Broadmeadow Magic and Charlestown Azzurri at the top of the table.

Cooks Hill started the second half with renewed vigour, playing an expansive style of game that showcased plenty of crisp passing from sideline to sideline.

Rooke was a handful for the hosts’ defence and looked like he was going to double the advantage just before the 60th minute when he latched onto a cross into the penalty area but his header went wide of the post.

The second half remained a stalemate with the valiant Cooks Hill side unable to overturn Rooke’s goal before half-time, handing the Jaffas their third win of the season.

Pryce said he was happy to take the three points and move on to next week.

“It was an ugly win,” Pryce said.

“We struggled at times and [Cooks Hill] showed up and put in a great effort. I know they have players out and for them to be in the game for that long, it’s a credit to them.

“For us not to put that match away, we have some things to work on but we take the three points. If you can win ugly every week you still get the points but we have some improvement and we just need to look at being a bit more of a cohesive unit.”

Weston Workers FC 2-3 Charlestown Azzurri

Weston assistant coach Anthony Richards said it was one that got away as Charlestown Azzurri made it five wins for the season with their 3-2 victory on Sunday.

Azzurri came into the match at Rockwell Automation Park off the back of a six-goal thriller against Maitland the weekend before and were immediately on the defensive.

But despite the early onslaught Charlestown landed the first blow through Regan Lundy, as the clever forward drilled a low shot that took a deflection leaving Weston goalkeeper Jacob Zissis in no man’s land just after 20 minutes.

Weston were not deterred after falling behind and immediately reapplied the pressure on the visitors. The Bears were unlucky not to find the equaliser minutes later when Jake Brownlow flicked a fantastic header from point-blank range but Nathan Archbold was able to deny him with a reflex save low down.

But Weston would not have to wait too long for their equaliser as Chris Hurley’s corner confused the Azzurri defence, with an own goal bringing the scores level.

The home side would have been hugely disappointed not to have the lead after creating multiple goal-scoring opportunities with the second half developing into an arm-wrestle.

But it was Charlestown who found the advantage courtesy of a Ryan Frame header from a corner that gave the visitors the lead on the hour mark.

As had been the case all match, Weston would not go away and they again produced an equaliser, with a pass into the Azzurri penalty area this time finding Jake Brownlow, who drilled it into the bottom left-hand corner to level the scores again at 2-2.

With 20 minutes left on the clock it was anyone’s match. That was until Frame popped up again to poke home from close range after a goal-line scramble.

Hopes of a comeback for the home side were strengthened when Azzurri’s Zac Lloyd was shown a second yellow card and sent off for a strong challenge on the edge of his penalty area, leaving Azzurri with 10 men for the final minutes of the game.

But the visitors were able to hold out for the victory, leaving Richards to lament the missed opportunity.

“It’s definitely the one that got away,” Richards said.

“We did enough to win today but unfortunately we weren’t good enough. We gave away some pretty soft goals and we weren’t good enough to take our own [chances].

“I thought our guys in general played quite well. I don’t think there was much [Charlestown did] that concerned us too much. We controlled the game really well but unfortunately there were three circumstances we didn’t handle and they got three goals.”

Broadmeadow Magic 4-1 Valentine FC

Jacob Dowse continued his sublime start to the season scoring two goals and helping his side to a 4-1 victory over Valentine at Magic Park on Sunday.

Magic came into the match looking to make it five wins in a row, while visitors Valentine were looking to hit back after being downed by Weston 2-0 last weekend.

But the home side were handed the dream start with Dowse on the scene to pounce on a mix-up at the back for Valentine, leaving the striker with an open goal to calmly tap home in the fifth minute.

Dowse was a constant threat in the early exchanges and was again able to break through, this time playing provider for teammate Sam Donnellan courtesy of a lofted cross, who headed home from cross range to make it 2-0 in the opening 10 minutes.

Valentine would have been fearful for what was to come from the rampant Magic side but the visitors were able to begin their fightback less than five minutes later through Tyrone Mulder who headed home from close distance.

The score remained 2-1 heading into the break but Magic came out firing in the second half to put the game to bed.

Dowse grabbed his second of the afternoon 13 minutes into the second half, with the forward finessing his shot from the middle of the penalty area to make the score 3-1.

Magic finished the scoring through Bailey Wells as he followed up a shot off the post from Damon Green to make it 4-1 in the 79th minute.

Magic closed out the match 4-1 but Valentine head coach Adam Hughes said the score did not reflect how tough the game was.

“I don’t quite think the match was [worthy of] a 4-1 loss today,” Hughes said.

“I think we inflicted some pain on ourselves. It’s been difficult [in recent weeks] to try and gain some momentum but hopefully if we start getting some consistency in matches, we will start to see some differences within the squad.”

Edgeworth FC 2-0 Newcastle Olympic

Edgeworth assistant coach Gary Wilson said he was proud of his side after the Eagles downed Newcastle Olympic 2-0 on Sunday.

The Eagles have been searching for consistency after losing three in a row earlier in the season but came into this match gunning for consecutive wins after defeating Lake Macquarie last weekend.

Edgeworth struck first at Jack McLaughlan Oval through centre back Nick Curran as he rose above the pack off the back of a set piece, heading the ball past Olympic keeper Adam Pearce to open the scoring.

Olympic moved the ball well and asked plenty of questions of the home side. Their best chance of the half came from Malik Thom with the ball landing at his feet at point-blank range in Edgeworth’s penalty area. But his clever back heel finish did not find the mark and the Eagles smuggled the ball away.

Olympic again threatened to equalise at the half-hour mark, this time with Musa Kamara dancing his way into the penalty area but he too was unable to find the mark.

Despite Olympic’s pressure, the Eagles held the 1-0 advantage into half-time.

The second half saw both teams wrestle to gain ascendancy but it was veteran striker Jeremy Brockie who handed Edgeworth the advantage.

Brockie popped up in the 78th minute to sink Olympic, with the striker on hand to tap home from point-blank range after Pearce had spilled the ball.

The home side were able to keep Joel Griffith’s men at bay, taking all three points with a 2-0 victory.

Wilson said after a tough start to their campaign, his side were beginning to show their quality that can challenge any team in the competition.

“We seem to be moving towards where we want to be,” Wilson said.

“Today was a tough game, Olympic are a good side. [Olympic have] taken points off Magic and the Jaffas, so we knew it was going to be a battle. They really pushed us and pressed us in the first half, we had to defend and scrap at our best to keep them out.

“In the second half [we warmed into the match]. We really deserved that second goal. [The match] could have gone either way in the first half and we are pleased [to get the result]. Full credit to our boys, they hung in there and they really worked hard.”

Maitland FC had the bye

Related Topics:
NPL Men's NNSW Round Nine Review

NewsMore >

  More News  

Northern NSW Football conduct Australia Cup sixth and seventh preliminary round draws
Northern NSW Football conducted its Australia Cup sixth and seventh preliminary… [more]
2022 National Volunteer Week Profile – Rosebud a labour of love for Conquest
On Saturday mornings, Kerry Conquest makes her way down to Adamstown Oval… [more]
NNSWF welcomes commitments ahead of 2022 Federal election
Northern NSW Football has welcomed 10 commitments made to its clubs across the… [more]

  Around the Clubs  

Newcastle Olympic awarded potential $625,000 grant for Darling Street upgrades
Sharon Claydon MP has committed $625,000 for a new grandstand and facility… [more]
Shoosh for Kids returns for 2022
Shoosh for Kids is back in 2022 and the message is clear – if you… [more]
Inaugural NNSWF Community State Youth Championships launched
It will be Member Zone v Member Zone when the best community footballers take… [more]


Community Football

Newcastle Permanent Community Shield